Monday, March 5, 2012

Aloha! Surf's Up!




This was a fun little retro number I whipped up for this week's The Play Date Cafe, featuring my interpretation of what they have fabulously called Mojito, Peony, and Sand.  I had such fun fishing out and using a stamp set that I completely forgot I owned.  Crazy huh?  It really is a blast to use a set that I must of had grand ideas of using when I purchased it originally from Papertrey Ink called, funnily enough, "Aloha".  It has mainly sentiments in the Austronesian language of Hawaii that I had no idea what they actually meant and images (being the non-surfer that I am) that really had me thinking...what was I actually thinking when I bought this set a couple of years ago?  I am fairly certain that I have only ever used it once before in fact.  But, I do see the potential even now.  I must say that I love the font used in the set and that surfboard is pretty darn cute.  I also don't think I have a Hibiscus in my stamping arsenal either or at the very least, one as lovely as this one.  It was also kind of fun looking up the meanings in this sentiment set as well.  I had no idea the depth behind the true meaning of Aloha.  Very cool, indeed.

My interpretations of this week's colors were fairy literal which was actually kind of cool.  After all, what better color for sand than Sand?  (Golly, how I can complicate things)  I used my Peony-like in color Copics for the surfboard and so much Glossy Accents on the deck that Mr. Zog would be proud.  I thought it best to leave those darling unadulterated Hibiscuses in their pristine outline form save the smudge of white pigment ink on each pistil and stamen.   So, they were stamped quite simply in Papertrey Ink's new dye ink in Kraft.  I stuck my dunes in place, propped up my stick, nipped at the corners of the card, and that was this baby done.  Nice.


Thanks for stopping by the blog, it's always a pleasure to know that you have visited.  Gosh, does it ever make my day.  Aloha! 

14 comments:

cards by cara said...

Love the colours and textures and thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. <3

Leah said...

Hi Jen :) Love your card, the colors and the design are just perfect and all the glossy accents on the surf board just make it! I grew up in Hawaii and your lovely card brings back lots of memories. Much aloha to you :)

Deb said...

This card is gorgeous! I love that little set. You did fantastic using it for this week's PDCC. The glossy accents is perfect!

Unknown said...

What a fun card. Makes me want to go back to Maui :)

Cindy said...

This is so adorable. Your little surf board looks like it's made of real super-shiny wood. Great Job Jen.

carol (krillsister) said...

Your card is awesome! Love those sand dunes. The surfboard is so stinkin cute too. The design of this card is perfect!

Tracey McNeely said...

Awesome card Jen, I have had my eye on that set since it came out but I also wonder if it wouldn't get enough love. I think your surfboard is so cool especially with the glossy accents. Mr. Zog would be proud!

Joyce said...

EEk--I have that set too, and am pinning your card. How brilliant to use those snow drifts as sand. And, I live at the beach, and I never thought of that. Love your take on the colors, and how you used that Hibiscus flower as a background.

Marybeth said...

So nice to see you used a set I love and might use more now that it is getting warmer. Great idea to use the Glossy Accents on a larger image. I love that stuff , don't you! Beautiful card Jen. Have a great day!

Terri said...

Cool card. Love your use of the surfboard.

Jinny Newlin said...

This is so different and utterly delicious, Jen! LOVE all the depth you've created with your distress inks! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at The Play Date Cafe!

Lyndal said...

Gorgeous card Jen - love the layers and the vintage feel :)

Lorraine said...

Just beautiful, Jen! Love the aloha scene you created, how you incorporated the colors of the challenge and your glossy surfboard!

Mary-Anne V said...

such a pretty summery card... great!