Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Corrugated Dogwood?





Corrugated Dogwood blooms aren't something you see every day, that is for sure.  And with a bit of luck you won't get to see them again any time soon.  Not sure if it's the prettiest of blooms, but it is different, I'll give it that.  I created this card for this fortnight's CR84FN Color Challenge showcasing Yellow, Kraft, and Gray.  I cannot tell a lie, Kraft and gray combined was a mega challenge for me.  It just looked wrong and kind of jarring placed together when I pulled out swatches of the colors in cardstock when constructing this card.  But somehow, out of my great big load of "no idea" emerged this card.  I decided to focus on mostly gray and yellow together and just accent with the Kraft.  But low and behold, the Kraft just took over and dare I say in a kind of a "so grotesque that it's groovy" kind of way at that.   I had initially intended to have only the touch of Kraft be in the wee bookplate, but stumbled on a bit of cardboard (and was obviously mesmerized by it) when looking for scraps to cut out my intended "yellow and gray" Dogwood bloom.  Crazy, huh?  So I just went with it and totally forgot that the bloom was meant to be wholly different and what do you know, "There she blows!"...a corrugated Dogwood bloom!  Go figure?



I love that about crafting.  You really (more like I really) don't know what I am going to end up with until I end up with it.  What did Forrest Gump's mother say? "Life is like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get."  Well, I think the same can safely be said about card making for me.  Love it!

Thanks so much for stopping by.  Here's to a mega inspired day for us all.  To chocolate! 

15 comments:

Tracey McNeely said...

Jen this is fantastic! Great card for this challenge.

Leah said...

Reading your post you made me giggle:) Love how your card finally did turn out, that flower is really neat...love the texture. I'm not so fond of the color combo myself, but you nailed it!

Mona Pendleton said...

Oh my Jen! That corrugated flower looks fabulous! So creative! Thanks for joining along with CR84FN :)

carol (krillsister) said...

That corrugated dogwood is beautiful. Love the diffeent shape for the card base. Your card is fantastic as usual. great job with the challenge.

Denise said...

Gorgeous, my sweet!! I love the corrugated florals... so chic! The shaped card base is also a lovely touch. Thank you so much for your kind comments over at the blog and for the award... makes me smile and that is a very good thing. HUGS.

Cathy Weber said...

Oh boy, you did it again! I was too intimidated with those colors to even try, but you combined the three colors so that they look like they were meant to be together. I love the shape of the card and that corrugated dogwood. I didn't even know what dogwood looked like, so look what I learned today!

Elena said...

the card is tres chic! you pulled it off, for sure :) love your whole post, and yes, the creative process is always organic for me too :)

Mayol said...

Oh,i enjoyed reading your post,Jen! And your dogwood is...enticing :) makes me just want to reach for it and touch it. For real! :)

Michelle said...

LOL @ to chocolate. Hell yeah to chocolate! I'll see you your chocolate and I'll raise you 5 more pieces :) I don't think I know what a dogwood is. Maybe they are in the south, I think I have heard? Maybe that's magnolias I am thinking of. In any case, I love this shabby krafty flower...and all that dimension...

Deb said...

Fabulous card! Your creations are always so fabulous! Love it!

Kay D said...

I LOVE your dogwood bloom!
It's so funky and artistic- VERY creative- something different, and something wonderful!
Kudos to you!

Joyce said...

Such a beautiful and wonderful card. I could not see using those colors together, but you totally pulled it off.

Leigh Penner said...

That flower is seriously fabulous, Jen!

cards by cara said...

Shaped cards are always fun and yours is no exception!

Deborah Frings said...

I love the texture in that flower and the sentiment is lovely! Great work! Thanks for playing along with CR84FN!